Careers - Lead Android Developer
We have an opportunity for a Lead Android Developer to join our team at Chani Nicholas Incorporated to help sustain and build our next chapter.
CHANI is a queer, feminist-led team on a mission to support everyone in living their purpose. 5% of all company’s revenue is disbursed directly to queer, trans, Black, Indigenous, people of color, and / or disabled survivors of gender-based violence by FreeFrom.org. We also strongly believe in starting within, and we prioritize our team’s well-being, with a salary floor of $80,000 before benefits; fully covered health, dental, and vision insurance; a 401(k) with a 5% match; unlimited menstrual leave; gender-based violence paid and protected leave; unlimited PTO with a vacation stipend; and personal-and-professional-growth and wealth-building stipends.
You eschew the “brogrammer” culture in favor of a forward-thinking and collaborative environment where technology is there to serve the needs of your users. You are a team player who can also work independently without a lot of direction, effectively taking requests from marketing, design, and other leadership and turning them into functional and beautiful production ready app features.
You are a dedicated software craftsperson and product lead who cares deeply about best practices and what it takes to write and maintain great code and push forward with innovative concepts. You have high emotional intelligence, an abundance mindset, able to effectively balance the needs of the creative and technical.
You will develop and be responsible for building and updating Android compatible applications and systems, finding and squashing bugs, and maintaining a clean and elegant codebase. We are open to using cross platform technologies for our Android buildout, however, you must be able to work with any necessary native integrations and lead the development of making the app available to Android users.
You do not have to be an astrologer or familiar with astrology right now to apply - but you should be willing & able to learn the language of astrology so that your engineering reflects astrology’s logic.
Technical Skills Required
- 3 – 5+ in mobile app development with strong Android experience (Java/Kotlin) and SDKs;
- Fluency with Android tool ecosystem for development, testing, debugging, and performance benchmarking (Android Studio/Visual Studio, Material Design and/or any other related IDEs or local development tools);
- Extensive hands-on experience creating custom UI controls, consuming RESTful APIs, designing protocols, animations, and performance optimization;
- A disciplined approach to development, testing, documentation and code structure in a team environment;
- An excellent understanding of best practices for concurrency and threading;
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques;
- Strong understanding of data structures & algorithms;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with other mobile platforms, iOS Development, React Native, TDD and agile methodologies;
- Experience implementing and maintaining containers (Docker).
What We Offer
- $110k (plus $12k+ in additional annual stipends for a total of $122k);
- Fully covered health, dental and vision insurance;
- 401k with a 5% match;
- Flexible work from home policy;
- 4 months paid parental leave;
- Unlimited, flexible paid vacation, subject to approval, plus a vacation stipend;
- Gender-based violence paid and protected leave;
- Unlimited menstrual leave for people with uteruses;
- An annual tech stipend;
- A personal and professional growth stipend;
- A stipend to help you build wealth.
How to Apply
To apply, please send your cover letter, resume, portfolio, and list of 3 references (names, relationship, position, and email address) in a single PDF to Milcah Halili at email@example.com with the subject line “Lead Android Developer Application.” Please include your name and preferred pronouns on all documents. Please speak to how your experience and qualifications match what we are looking for in this role in your cover letter. We expect to receive a large number of applications for this position so your cover letter is your best opportunity to demonstrate why you are the right person for the job. Please also note: we will not contact your references without notifying you first.
Folks who are queer, trans, non-binary, Black, Indigenous, people of color, parents, are/have been system-impacted, have different abilities, are immigrants, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression and/or gender-based violence are encouraged to apply.
- Remote within the United States.
- Applications reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Anticipated start date: Immediately
- Exempt, full-time position (40 hours per week)
Position reports to
- Director of Engineering